364 Days Since My Journey Began

It has been 364 days since I woke and decided that enough was enough. I wasn’t living the life I wanted to live. I had let my weight get out of control and I had been dealing with the effects of being obese for a while and knew something had to change. Tomorrow wasn’t good enough I had to start that day! In the 364 days that have past I have lost 100 pounds (give or take depending on how delicious dinner was the night before!) and gained more than I could have ever imagined.

I am excited and nervous to share my story with you over the next couple weeks and mortified to show some photos (slim pickin’s! Pun intended). I am by no means an expert and what has worked for me may not work for you but if one person reads this and feels like it is possible and they can make the change to a healthier lifestyle it is worth sharing a few photos that make me uncomfortable. I want to share with you my motivation, lessons I learned along the way and ultimately how I was able to do it and my plan for the future. This is a life-long journey, I don’t get to quit and go back to old habits because I have gotten to where I wanted to be. Now I find out what I am really made of!

Before

Let’s start at the beginning, I was a 31-year-old mother of two and by any doctor’s calculation I was obese. I was never really concerned with the number on the scale though, the bigger problem for me was how I felt. Everyday I woke up not happy with how I looked or how I felt. I didn’t like what I saw in the mirror. I would nearly have a panic attack if someone wanted me to be in a picture. I have so few photos of my children and I together because I refused to have my picture taken. I dreaded buying new clothes because it was never about how much I liked something or how confident it made me feel it was always about finding something that fit that wasn’t hideous or horribly uncomfortable.

I won’t lie, a lot of my problem with my weight was pure vanity. I didn’t want people to see me this overweight but more than how I looked it was the way that I felt that was the biggest motivator in my decision to make a change. I wasn’t able to play with my kids the way that I wanted to and they deserved. I couldn’t make it up a set of stairs without being winded. In my twenties, I like most people felt invincible, I never worried about how my weight would affect my health in the long run. Now I have kids to think about and it is my responsibility to make sure that I do everything in my power to be around for them for as long as I can.

IMG_0550

I knew a change had  to be made but it seemed impossible. I have two kids, I am gone from home 12 hours each day for work and there just seemed to be no way that I could make the changes that I needed to make to live the healthy life I wanted so I just never tried. Then came August 15, 2014 and everything changed. I had had enough and things were going to change that day.

I am now 364 days in and gearing up for day 365. To celebrate I am running the Dirty Girl Mud Run in Milwaukee, WI! I heard about this race from a girlfriend of mine and as soon as I found out the race was August 15th exactly one year from the day that changed my life I knew I had to do it. This will be my chance to really prove to myself how far I have come in just one year.

Wish me luck tomorrow! Bring on the mud and bring on the obstacles! I am ready to show that course who’s boss!

Fun with the kids

Is weight something that you struggle with? Do you feel like it’s impossible to find the time to live a healthy lifestyle or have you found that balance? I would love to start a conversation about this. Let me know in the comments below or find me over on Facebook or Twitter.
Until next time!

Advertisements

Tagged: , , ,

14 thoughts on “364 Days Since My Journey Began

1. amandaturner612 August 14, 2015 at 11:19 AM Reply

Good luck at your Mud Run! And it’s definitely possible to find the time- other sacrifices (TV, lounging time) just have to be made 🙂

2. HappyFamily August 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM Reply

I was just thinking the other day how I wish we lived in the same city. Would love to do play date. Congrats on your journey. So impressed with your honesty and sharing. My husband and I are on a similar journey “operation back to wedding weight”. Together we are down over 150lbs. Keep up the good work. Thank you for sharing.

• Katie Bell August 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM Reply

A play date would be awesome! We will have to figure it out one day! Thank you so much for the support. I think I worked on this post for a month or so and it still isn’t exactly what I wanted but hopefully it gets the point across! Congrats to you and your hubby! That is amazing! It is not an easy journey by any means but it is an awesome one! I think the best part is the kids seeing it. Hopefully by doing this now they will see this as just a way of life. These are just the things you do so it won’t be the same struggle for them that it has been for my husband and I.

Liked by 1 person

• HappyFamily August 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Exactly love that Bailey asks for water, fruits, veggies, chicken and turkey bacon. And she is always asking if she can workout. Makes me so happy. We do always have ice cream and treats for her in the house because I don’t want her to feel like she needs to binge on them because she never gets them. Crazy to watch her take one bite and then put it away or forget about it. That is my struggle because my parents eat super healthy and would not let us have junk food in the house. Which now as a parent I know they did out of love for us and them. South Florida is a great place for a vacation. Let us know if you are ever in town.

• Katie Bell August 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Exactly! Soph threw a fit a couple weeks ago because I never let her run with me! So needless to say the next day we made our way over to the high school track nearby and ran around for a bit! South Florida sounds like an amazing place to visit especially in the middle of winter!!

Liked by 1 person

• HappyFamily August 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Setting such a great example. There an is a great idea. South Florida is great all year if you like the water but you are right it is especially great in winter.

3. Lindsay August 17, 2015 at 5:45 PM Reply

I need to make the switch to that attitude and way of life. I can’t seem to get on the right path. You are inspiring! I haven’t see you guys in too long but I’m very proud of you both 🙂

• Katie Bell August 17, 2015 at 8:12 PM Reply

Thank you so much! That means more than you know!

4. […] week I shared with you the first year of my get fit journey (364 Days Since My Journey Began). I want to spend the next couple weeks delving in a little deeper and share with you how I was […]

5. […] to my closer look at how I lost 100ish pounds in the past year. You can check out my previous posts here and […]

6. Tammy September 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM Reply

I enjoy your writing style, excellent information, thanks for posting.

• Katie Bell September 2, 2015 at 4:40 PM Reply

That means the world to me! Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to stop by!

7. […] along on my journey that has led me to lose 100 pounds in a year we started out by talking about why I wanted to get fit, how I was going to measure my progress, and how I changed my eating habits. […]